Are You Prepared for a RED ALERT?
Important Executive Summary: Read from 1 To 7 before you decide.
- PREPARE FOR COMMS DOWN/LIGHTS OUT… Within the short term, we face a very high possibility of an intentional “comms down” scenario where all communications in the US – No cell service, no internet, no land lines. A comms blackout. This could also include a take-down of electrical power. Just in case of an intentional or national power blackout or even a large earthquake. Worst case scenario would be an EMP strike. Be as prepared as you can be for it.
2. Have a battery operated radio, candles, and matches now. If you can find CB or ham radios, some truck stops have them. FRS radios from sporting good stores or Walmart are also useful for close range (inside Neighborhood) comms. HAM radios will likely have to be ordered over the internet, so order them now! Get a shortwave radio so you can monitor for news and info. Even if you don’t know how to run a HAM or CB radio, buy it. Someone else will know how.
3. Get all the fuel you can – gas, diesel, NOW. Get the fuel out of the underground storage tanks and into portable containers. Get all you can. When you think you have enough, double it. Do NOT presume you will be able to buy fuel during an emergency. A power blackout alone will make it hard to get the fuel out of underground storage tanks, let alone suffering a run-on gas stations as everyone scrambles to get it.
4. Buy as much food as you can NOW. Double and triple whatever you have. Buy more for friends, family, neighbors. Buy bulk non-perishables that can be cooked with just hot water (rice, beans, oatmeal. etc.), or canned goods. If you can afford it, or if you have to, charge it or take it out of your savings. Buy freeze-dried “Mountainhouse” type camping foods (just add hot water). They can still be found in camping supply sections of big box stores. Get food, medicines, vitamins and minerals, and personal hygiene items (baby wipes, for example). Follow the Mormon advice of a three months supply of what you normally eat/use anyway, and then a year’s worth of bulk long term storage foods. Keep as many 5 gallon water bottles as you can have. Empties cost about $7.00. Have the means to cook food with charcoal.
If the time of food shortages come the supermarkets will only permit tinned food, one carton for every three people. It will be limited. People will not be able to just charge into supermarkets and grab anything they please. Instead, there will be security guards at the entrances, controlling people. Food will be rationed and given to people, in a similar way charity food boxes are given to those in need. Prepare for a comms down/blackout environment. Who will be the Home Guard and part of a “Family Safe” program to stay back and protect families, while also determining who can project out to protect and assist others. Do it now before comms can go down.
5. Prepare grid down/blackout environment. What does that mean? You better have cash money on hand as the banks will be closed and the ATMs will not work. Best to have cash in small denominations as most will not be able to change large bills. Keep very little cash in the big banks anyway as most are in a position to hold onto your money. If there is a financial reset you will not have any access to your cash. Keep your cash in a safe place and tell no one. Don’t be naive and think this can’t happen. This article was edited in half for security.